View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
My opinion on the honor code has pretty much stayed the same. I don't particularly care what it falls in line with. If you sign it and say you'll live by the standards, then don't be surprised if you are kicked out when you don't.

I lived in Provo for a couple of years while attending UVSC and never understood why people worked so hard to get into BYU only to get there and bitch about the honor code.

When I was at Ricks, President Bednar at the time basically got up at devotional and said, "I've heard a lot of complaining about our honor code. If you don't feel you can live it, there are plenty of other places to go to school that you can have a good experience at." In other words, if you don't like it, leave.

Should we use it as something to drive people away? Certainly not, but people who go to school at places that have an honor code and willingly choose to sign it, should live by it, or face the consequences. There are enough people that want to go to BYU that those that don't want to be there because of the honor code would not be missed.
Hmm.... That's a fascinating argument from a Ute fan. But it obfuscates the point. Very few ever argue that if someone signs the honor code then they should not be bound to live by it. It's more useful to debate whether the honor code is ultimately in the best interests of the university and students. And whether it ought to be tweaked.