View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
The dumb thing is, without going into all the details - I can see their point of view. They weren't trying to rip us off, they were just trying to do what they thought we wanted. And they did do the work, and we would benefit from it. So I didn't just want it for free. I just wanted them to see where they had not dealt properly with me, acknowledge it, give me $300 or $400 off of the total $1600 in overcharges, and all would be fine.

The builder did do very good work. He was in a position to get some good word of mouth. He will not get it now, and if anyone talks to me about building, I'll be quick to recommend that they not go with this builder if they want to avoid headaches. Instead of getting a pretty positive recommendation. Not much business sense, I'd say.
I understand where you're coming from. But at the same time, you should only have to pay for what you agreed to on the contract. To be honest, the problems we always ran into were with our sales agents who would tell us they spoke with the homeowner and they decided they wanted this and that. Often times, to stay on schedule we'd take the agents word for it and begin the changes. But this bit me in the ass several times, so I refused to do work after awhile until I had an addendum and a ratified contract.

What was that electrician bill for? If that total the builder gave you was for finishing off the basement, it doesn't seem that unrealistic to be honest. Also $900 for the alarm system isn't bad either. Remember, most deals on security systems are like cell phone deals, where equipment and installation is offset by your service contract.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote