View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #41
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The danger of Mormonism entering a phase of vying for acceptance from Babylon in unprecedented fashion is MUCH MORE DANGEROUS than any gains to be had from having a Mormon president.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe suddenly as the restoration continues to be de-emphasized, there will be a sudden awakening and the stone cut from the mountain will stop slowing down.

The Book of Mormon's themes contain the idea that churches and tribes wax and wane. It is pretty clear about why they wane. Pride, complacency, materialism, seeking the approval of Babylon.

What does it mean for a believer to be King of Babylon? Is God getting giddy at the prospect?
This is your personal view. And it's getting in the way of your being part of the tribe. If that's important to you.

I don't know Philipino culture as much as Korean. You may relate to this from your mission experience or maybe not. Koreans are about as tribal as you can get. I can not imagine a single Korean American not voting for a Korean American candidate for president no matter his politics or how "unprincipled" he may be. If you're Korean, your favorite TV show is Lost because they have Koreans on it, your favorite baseball team is Boston Red Sox with the Korean pitcher, you vote for a Korean American no matter what. That's tribalism. You don't make up shitty reasons to not go with the tribe because you have some grand vision nobody else sees.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote