View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
In part, yes. But Powell would have had a seat at the table either way. He's been advising Obama for two years now. I do believe he was holding his cards as long as possible, though, just to leave his options open.

But one of the reasons Powell's endorsement came so late was because of Palin. Powell has never been a fan of the social conservatives -- he's referred to neocons in scathing and even profane terms in the past. I think he was awfully disappointed to watch his old friend McCain sell out on every single issue to the party line. Then to watch McCain make a VP selection specifically to pander to the most socially conservative voting base -- and to watch that selection prove herself unsuited for office in nearly every respect -- I think that was the final straw.

Also, if you look over Powell's history, Obama is really a better foreign policy fit for Powell.

Some would assert that his endorsement was racially motivated, and race is certainly a factor in this election. But to suggest that Powell's endorsement is primarily due to race is to overlook that fact that this announcement is consistent with years of Powell's record of preferring diplomacy over war, and of rejecting the neocon hijacking of the Republican Party.

That is hysterical, powell waited for Palin to implode before making his announcement? LOL

Powell is just pandering to get himself back in the limelight, something to make himself relevant again.

Congrats powell, you made you commitment, you now have a seat at the table to continue making $$$ off your public service.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote