View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was googling to see if anyone else had posted an account of this fireside, came across this link describing a fireside/Q&A in Provo, UT.

http://www.neylanmcbaine.com/2010/11...reen-room.html

Quote:
Across the course of this two-day exegesis, Givens gave me a complete reboot of my simplest faith as well as my most aggressive intellectual pursuit to understand the whole eternal round. The uniqueness of Joseph Smith's restored theologies, the way the Book of Mormon fits perfectly into the course of history as laid out in the Old Testament, and the resonating truth of the Plan of Salvation make all of our institutional church's quirks and quibbles seem so small and trite. The gospel isn't about "me me me" and it's ultimate purpose is not necessarily to make sure that every person is perfectly happy in this life. It is so much more, so much greater than ourselves, so tied up to the purposes of eternity and the beauty of creation. Thoughts like these make my head feel like it's going to explode, in the same way muscles feel tired but exhilarated after a workout.
I would have loved to take Givens out to dinner, me and Archaea shooting the bull with him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote