Thread: bYuPride
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #15
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Attending the U cheering for the Y...

I just don't get it... I can see being a BYU fan when BYU plays somebody else, but the U is your school.

This is my problem with the U. The campus experience (its "commuter" nature) does not do enough to create nostalgia and loyalty.

I became a big Ute fan because I decided to get really involved at school. I was involved with the largest student group on campus.... drum roll.... LDSSA! It is sad to me that LDSSA doesn't even gather enough people and create enough of an experience to "convert" people like you.

I understand tradition... I can see why a guy would root for BYU even though they did not go there (I have friends who root for ND because their 3rd cousin is Irish). But I still wish that the U could produce a more endearing experience.
My U experience was fantastic. I did LDSSA. I rented with 7 other guys an house on 3rd south and 13th east (yes I woke up at 8 am for a 8:30 class) I liked my student ward and all the people I went to school with. I went to europe for a summer with U (easily my best college experience) where I am still friends with several of the people on that trip. I went to every football game and basketball game. I loved institute. In fact, I am still active today because of one teacher that helped me resolve a lot of the issues I have with the church. I honestly think that if I went to byu I would still have a lot of questions. Not only that, institute was fun and didnt require that I have to take tests on gospel principles. Frankly, I am not sure how I could have had a better experience anywhere else. I guess the lone exception would be ND where I hear the dorm houses get to play rec football in pads and the championship game of the rec league gets to play in the house that rockne built.

I guess college is what you make of it. I knew people that got married a year (or less) after their mission and frankly how would the college experience be if you were married any different at byu? I also knew those that were just going to to college to get a job and not to learn. Those people are not gonna get an experience any different at Byu besides having to live mission rules and shaving everyday.

Although one thing I do wish was at the U when I was there is the MUSS. That looks like a great time. However, I was at the U when Majerus was at his peak and Van Horn, Doleac, Miller, Jensen so I can't complain that much.

Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 04-27-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Mormon Red Death is offline   Reply With Quote