View Single Post
Old 04-28-2007, 01:54 AM   #13
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This is the goofiest "poll" I've ever seen. What does "true" mean here? True in a metaphysical/allegorical sense, like a parable? True in the sense that the stories really happened once upon a time in a place far away? If the latter, how in the sam hill could anyone know, since there's not a scintilla of evidence there were such thing as Nephites, etc.? I mean, at least with the Old Testament we know there were Egyptians, and can trace what befell the Hebrews/Jews as a people up to today (excluding the "Lost Tribes"). Okay, some of you may have a "testimony," the poll is still silly because it suggests there's some empirical basis, e.g., "the events are more or less true, but reported with an extreme historical bias." Does one get a "spiritual witness" of this nature? Somebody's not thinking too clearly here. LOL.
I have always wondered exactly what is meant by the statement "I know the church is true". I take it mean "I believe it's teachings", but who knows if that is what's the intent is. When my Bishop stopped by my house and asked me if I believed the church is true, I told him I didn't understand what he was asking. He couldn't explain what he meant either.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote