View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm currently reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/1491-Revelatio.../dp/140004006X

While I'm just getting started, one thing is clear: there were millions and millions of inhabitants in the Western Hemisphere and virtually the entire face of the land was covered; particuarly below the Rio Grande prior to the Conquistadors beginning their handiwork. They are clearing land in Bolivia and Brazil that is virtually uninhabited now that turns out to be full of canals, mounds and other infrastructure which was used to support hundreds of thousands of people. Who knows what else has yet to be discovered?

Multiple cities have been comfortably estimated to have had over 100,000 inhabitants.

So theoretically, there could have easily been one or more wars that involved hundreds of thousands of people.

I honestly don't know where I weigh in on the limited geography theory or any other theories.
There were millions of inhabitants in the Western Hemisphere long before 400 B.C. The Western Hemisphere peoples have as long and in their own right as rich a history as Europeans for sure. It's a history the Church has simply shit canned for generations, propagating a tale that it all sprang from the loins of Lehi. It takes millions of years to generate so far reaching and diverse a population. This is just common sense.

However, academics and serious students of history today dismiss the numbers of soldiers recorded by the ancient and medieval European chroniclers of history as fanciful. The greatest size of army that could be logistically sustained in those days and remain cohesive (I'm talking about feeding them, their baggage trains, communicating with them, etc.) is maybe 40,000, probably significantly less. For example, historians have recognized that an army of maybe 20,000 Visigoths sacked Rome, with its millions of inhabitants who stood by and watched.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote