View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #44
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it is not the facts that are important, when it comes to education. It is the "hows". How you learn, how you solve problems.

My education/training, to some degree, has made me a better learner. So I can pass that on. The facts of my training are probably unimportant in terms of passing on.

The gains in education, the longer you go, become more marginal in terms of their utility for parenting. Is my anticipated masters degree going to make me a better parent? Probably not to a great degree.

A different aspect of this issue is what society wants and needs. Society definitely does not want or need medical school graduates who don't practice medicine. States, for example, subsidize medical education in hopes of boosting the supply of physicians within their boundaries. It's a wasted investment to spend $120,000 (let's assume that is the state's input) on someone's training only to have them decide never to put that training to use.

You became a marginally better parent (maybe), but you took a qualified person out of the supply where demand outpaces supply. Is that ethical? Good?

Marsupial is an example of a smart, attrative woman who decided to be a SAHM. She has the luxury of making this choice. She also has the capability to enter the work force or get more training, and do well.

I'm not denigrating SAHMs, I've said repeatedly here. I'm exploring the choices that are made among LDS women from many angles.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote