View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I will take a look at your exit polls, though it is amusing that you have already admitted they don't say what you claim they say. You claimed that "No other demographic ... not religion, race, gender, or age ... approached the monolithic vote of the black "community" in 2000." I bring up one obvious religious body, and you can't say whether they were more "monolithic" or not.

Even as "monolithic" as the LDS voting bloc is, can you imagine a Democratic president refusing to meet with LDS leaders? Clinton met with Hinckley and other members of the First Presidency multiple times, and he came in third in Utah.
I made my statement with the data I had. Given that we have no numbers on LDS voting patterns (and you have offered to provide none), it seems pointless to talk about it.

And as Indy and Pad have both pointed out, it's a pretty bad analogy to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Dole got 14% of the black vote in 1996, and he was running against "America's First Black President." Bush lost 3% of that vote just 4 years later. Could it be that Republicans are doing more to alienate black voters than you want to admit? If you want things to change, defending your party's actions in avoiding the NAACP is not a good start.
Reagan's percentage of the black vote also decreased from 1980 to 1984, an election in which he absolutely demolished the man that 91% of blacks voted for. I'm no Michael Barone, so I can't comment on why the minor shifts in numbers from election to election over 30 years have happened. The point is made, though, that they vote with solidarity not seen in any other race, and practically any other demographic.

Breaking away from numbers for a while, let's keep in mind that Bush has elevated blacks to some of the highest offices in the land, including two secretaries of state in a row. The only black man on the Supreme Court was appointed by a Republican. Yet the NAACP types routinely lampoon these folks as "not really black." And they run campaign ads suggesting Bush has committed offenses against black folk commensurate with the chain-dragging death of James Byrd.

With such as their attitude, I'm happy to see the candidates turn a cold shoulder to such a nakedly partisan organization.

Last edited by Tex; 07-16-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote