View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #21
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Abortion may be distasteful, but it is not murder. A fetus is not a living human being. How can you kill something that is not technically alive?
Lots of technical jargon to be defined here.

living human being = ? Do we take the old trimester system? Do we look at the history of how early a fetus can be born and still survive?

not technically alive = ? Now we'll start splitting biology hairs.

I do not believe that the abortion question is a matter of biology and timing, it is a matter of intent and circumstance. Just as it is wrong to kill a man with "evil" intent, I believe it is wrong to kill a fetus with "evil" intent.

I think we are mixing the Mormon take on abortion with the U.S. Legal take on abortion. Never the twain shall meet.
It is all a matter of degree. Abortion is distasteful because it ends a potential life. The closer that potential is to being realized, the more distasteful it becomes. If you take the morning after pill a few hours after conception, that is obviously different than aborting a fetus a few hours before delivery. That is precisely why this is such a devisive issue -- everybody's idea of when it becomes TOO distasteful differs. But to call abortion murder is to confuse the issue. It is not murder.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote