Thread: first vinyl?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Actually, that was the first message on my answering machine, although why Mr. Bell kept calling me Watson eludes me.

But as long as you're committing elder abuse, let me fan the flames by noting that I had records as a child that were 78s. Sleepy Town Train and The Legend of Davy Crockett (the listening experience was enhanced by wearing a coonskin cap) were an integral part of my home entertainment regimen.
I had some 78s as a kid. My grandmother will still refer to her old "hi-fi" that played records.

I just posted something here on CG recently that was basically a random aside about those plastic inserts that you had to put into the record hole so that the record would fit on the turntable spindle.

One of my fondest memories of being really little was sitting alone in my room on the floor listening to these Disney Read Along record/book combos that my mom bought for us....all the classics...Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr Toad, etc.....you would pop the record onto the player and read along. And they all started with the same message..."You will know it is time to turn the page when Tinkerbell rings her little bell, like this *chime sound*"

This really is making think of my 70s childhood.

perhaps you and I should discuss this further over some tacos and a nice cold bottle of Reunite on ice.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote