View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
The Kirtland Temple dedications were a prime example of this expectation that visions were to occur. Mass accounts of angelic visitations rivaled only by events found in the Bible from the common, average member of the church.

But who knows what really happened at the dedication as some accounts claim that the visions came only after long hours of waiting and imbibing oneself in beverages not currently available to the visitation seeking, card carrying member.
Visions often became a "hey I got one too" in the early days. Saying that, I do believe many of the vision stories for the Kirtland Temple dedication. Obviously as the first temple in this dispensation and the role of the events that occured there are a big part of it, but even more I have often wondered what percentage of collective gdp the Saints sacrificed to build that edifice. It cost roughly $70,000 to build and if somebody was a little more proactive than me they could probably research the average income per family for the folks in that County in Ohio and multiply it by the # of male adult members.

I have attended one temple dedication in my life and I thought it was pretty spiritual, albeit the only angel I saw was that tightbodied lady M from Rockland, Idaho.....I think if the collective membership of the Church was as unified in one project as they were the building of the Kirtland Temple and sacrificed proportionally, there would be similar Pentecostal experiences.