View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #18
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. I would never contend that girls can routinely compete with boys, especially if you try to frame the argument around "super league teams". I am just saying that your statement earlier in the thread about boys dominating girls at first grade and beyond (3rd grade now?) has exceptions.

In fairness, I should state that the boys in my daughter's school around her age aren't particularly athletic for some reason. I kind of doubt any of them would make it on an elite b-ball team. And my daughter is probably one of the top five girls in the state at her age. So that probably explains the phenomenon.

That being said, if I took the top three girls on my AAU team against three random boys from your team, the girls would probably lose, but I am confident that they would get the ball past half-court plenty of times.
I gotcha. I thought you were contending my point that boys are better than girls at that age. The difference starts, IMO, at about K or 1st grade and the gap widens from there, but I agree the gap is narrow enough at that age that the distributions of skill level will have plenty of overlap to find cases like your girls. Top five in the state. That is very impressive. We have brothers and sons of former college players, but we don't have anyone like that on our team. But we could still take the girls.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote