View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I agree with you. I'm definitely pro-traditional passing QB over runner QB. I probably would have started Charlie Peterson over Doman in 2001 and James Lark over Riley Nelson. So I'm maybe a little extreme there compared to some. I think Bronco under Doman's influence embraced the running QB idea and it would have continued at BYU had he not decided to move on to Virginia. That would have been a mistake because BYU continues to be able to recruit talented passing quarterbacks.

The thing that's frustrating with Hill is that he is a great athlete who actually has a strong enough arm. But he never had to learn accuracy and to rely on his arm. He always had the running ability in his pocket, so the passing never really developed. I've made that comment before only to get disagreed with over on cb, but funny that Ty Detmer is on the record saying basically the same thing during fall camp this year. He was going to try to develop Hill's passing ability. So far he was adequate for a first game against Arizona, and bad against Utah.

Ty Detmer because of his NFL background knows what it takes to make it to the next level and knows Hill needs to be a good pocket passer to make it there even with his running ability. The question is how long do you let Hill have this season. Then again, with his injury history it's possible that makes the decision for us, although you never want to see anyone get hurt.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-12-2016 at 02:35 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote