View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Directv whole-home networking problems

I have DIRECTV, and whole-home. Whole-home allows you to access your recorded shows on your DVR from a non-DVR receiver in another room.

I was interested in downloading some episodes of a TV show via DIRECTV's free video on demand service (VOD). I used an ethernet wired cable to do so. Then I noticed my whole-home was no longer working. It was telling me that there was no DVR detected.

To make a long story short, directv could not figure out how to fix this and wanted to charge me $60 to send someone out and work on it. This is what I learned in fixing it myself.

1. Once you setup an internet connection though the ethernet cable, that overrides and cancels whole-home. I was told that it is possible to do both, but that it requires a special setup that directv technician installs. I'm assuming you would need a wireless connection between both receivers. I wasn't told the details.

2. First, you need to remove the ethernet cable. And then you need to go into your men -> settings -> system settings -> network connection and then "restore defaults." This essentially cancels your prior ethernet network. When I did this, whole-home began working again.

This has been a public service announcement.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote