View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
1. Obedience What is the driving force behind obedience to religious doctrines? Are we in it for the blessings (e.g. health, wealth and salvation), or is it out of love for our fellow men? Do we pay tithes and offerings as protection against personal misfortune (i.e. opening the "windows of heaven")?
People have lots of reasons for obedience, some of which you've mentioned. My personal opinion: obedience ought to be a result of love of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
2. Divine Intervention Does God intervene in our daily lives according to our level of obedience? If so, why is God apparently so selective in bestowing said blessings? Why do we observe some individuals and families escape this life seemingly unscathed - while others experience such great suffering? Similar to the fourteenth century, do we judge those who suffer as being less worthy?
I do believe God is involved (don't know if I'd use the word "intervene") in our lives on a daily basis. My avatar's name sake has said as much.

As to why some appear to suffer more than others: this is the question of the ages. The lives of men over the history of the world constitute billions of threads in a giant interwoven tapestry, and truly only God can see all ends. But whatever his methods or his reasons, it is certainly inappropriate (as you have suggested) to judge men based on such criteria.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote