View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #32
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Great topic Lisa. I've thought of quite a few more since you originally brought it up.

Ben Folds has Adelaide, Kalamazoo, Jesusland (about Jesus walking through Red-state urban sprawl), and Rockin' the Suburbs (about the children of Red-state urban sprawlers). All of these songs are excellent, but Jesusland is a touch sanctimonious.

Weird Al has the songs Albequerque and Amish Paradise.

Somebody mentioned the Weezer song Beverly Hills, but my favorite Weezer "place" song is In the Garage.

Johnny Cash fans will like I've Been Everywhere, Singing in Vietnam Talkin' Blues, Banks of the Ohio, and the aforementioned Fulsom Prison Blues.

Dwight Yoakam has some good ones. His classic Streets of Bakersfield is a fantastic song. He also has Population Me, A Thousand Miles from Nowhere, I Sang Dixie, and a great cover of T for Texas.

Hank Williams Jr. has a lot of good Southern songs. I really like If Heaven ain't a Lot Like Dixie.

I also like the Peter Gabriel song Solsbury Hill, but I don't know where that is. I'm assuming it's a place.

Empire State by Guster is really good.

If the Abyss counts as a place, Slayers' Seasons in the Abyss would get the Death Metal nod for best song about a place.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote