View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
There are a lot of barriers to Trump accomplishing most of his ludicrous and mean campaign promises; or maybe more precisely, realizing liberals' worst fears from inferences they make from his casual or perhaps calculated statements while campaigning. We've been erecting institutional walls against totalitarian takeover for over 200 years, including division of power.

The easiest way for him to screw up this country is to start trade wars and leave our Pacific Rim allies and trading partners with no choice but to ally with China and damage our economy on account of a few hundred thousand jobs that are doomed anyway in the long term. I'm counting on the Republican Congress to stand in his way. I'm afraid this is one area where he is more aligned with the Democrats, who have generally favored protectionism as they do more often favor other regulations on business. The Democrats' rhetoric on trade and capitalism has always been horrifying, during the campaigns, but until now nobody executed on it.
I agree. His campaign rhetoric on trade was frightening.