View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think you're really underestimating the potential for unintended consequences. Bringing a fresh public light on to all those statements over all those decades, despite a current and re-emphasized denial, could have a backlash effect. To say nothing of the opportunism it would smack of in the current political environment.

And then it puts the church in the dicey position of explaining the difference between prophetic doctrinal pronouncements, and prophets' opinions--a debate we can find NO resolution to here on Cougarguard. You think the media will be more forgiving than SeattleUte? Or you, for that matter?
That's exactly the logic I would expect from you, Tex. "All is well." "Don't rock the boat." And I suppose you could be right. But I doubt it. I think I will side with Elder Jensen on this one.

Interestingly, there is zero evidence that anyone in church leadership believes in the folklore. Yet there is hesitation to correct obviously false doctrine. That seems more like the actions of a parochial western US church, and less like the actions of a confident, progressive, international faith.