View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I completely agree with you. You hit on archaeology's biggest flaw - one that archaeologists are usually reluctant to admit: they excavate one room in one house in one city and claim conclusions that apply to entire regions. Although there's no real alternative, their conclusions can be a little sweeping.

From this point of view, the Lachish letters are practically worthless in a comparative sense. I would only gently pick on Nibley's exaggerations in this respect since scholars continue to haggle over the letters' exact text and meanings.

Bea Halpurn's review (the most current thing on the subject) notes that Old World archaeologists are often too eager to make a Biblical connection. I think LDS scholars might be guilty of similar enthusiasm with respect to the Book of Mormon. At any rate, I've discharged my promise to seek out the written record most contemporaneous with Lehi and Nephi.

And no, Arch, I unfortunately don't have Hebrew. That language looks really hard (you should learn it and translate everything for me).
I'm currently struggling through Greek and working on Arabic, before I go to Hebrew.[yeah I read some of the letters, but Arabic is totally cool just in reading it. http://www.omniglot.com/writing/arabic.htm]

Arabic is kicking my butt so I don't know what to do with Hebrew. It's not as fluid as Arabic. I also kinda like Aramaic; it's really cool, but not too many speak it.

You failed to answer one of my many Greek questions. It seems most verbs are omega verbs with a few IMAI verbs. Are those the only base form endings for verbs. Is there also some basic vocabulary building exercises. Reading the Bible helps but it doesn't help when reading Plutarch or especially Homer. Any hints for vocab building?