View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 04:26 PM   #39
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn_stat View Post
My point is that the article I put forth was far better than anything you offered up. At least someone who appears to be somewhat of an expert in the area put forth considerable effort, data, and analysis and came to the conclusion that at least in one key aspect of socialization, there is evidence that home schooled kids come out ahead of non-home schooled kids.

In regards to using your resources to supplement the education, two points:

One, some people do. And for those considering home schooling, they ought to consider this as an option. My wife and I have.

Two, given the time demands of school itself, homework, music lessons, extracurricular activities, and so forth, this approach may lead to a more stressful and harried lifestyle than the parents want for their children. Home schooling allows them to improve education while lessening the time demands on their children.
You cite one article which very loosely summarizes two studies, conducted by who knows whom with whatever agenda. Not all studies are created equal, but I took the studies at face value, and found them underwhelming.

You also failed to address until now, the supplementation issue.

I would never consider homeschooling because I believe professionals will know more about educating the mind of my children than I do, but I do know some aspects of education which I can stimulate in my children, through supplementation, including introduction to classics, sports, fitness, language, reading, but math instructors are far better at it than I.

Additionally, my children participate at their levels of abilities, be they bad or good, in sports, student government and other clubs. Yes I'm aware some homeschoolers do this, but in our ward, the only homeschoolers are those who disagree with teaching children about sex education. That appears to be their crux.

Do we wish to really teach our kids elitism through homeschooling?

Stress is part of life, and I'd prefer they'd learn sooner rather than later.