View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Are these Disney events well done? I've wondered if they're purely just gimmicks to get more people to the park or if they are legit races.
They are gimmicks for sure. That said, They are the best run races I have done. Water, clif shots and powerade at miles, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. Medical Tents at mile 3, 7 and 10. Roving medical bikes all along the course. Kaiser has a mini hospital set up at the finish. you run through both parks and downtown Disney. After the parks they have high school bands, cheerleaders, mariachis, hula dancers, boy and girl scouts set up through the streets of Anaheim to cheer you on by name (it is printed on your race bib). Major sponsors which means nice swag. Plus they put on a fitness expo for 3 days before the race. The castle finishers medal is huge as well and they send you a certificate with your time on it about 3 weeks later. It truly is worth it.

Compare that to the provo river half I did a month ago. Water at 3 5 8 12, out of water at mile 5 when i got there. No gels, despite saying they would. no medical, started 15 minutes early while I was sitting in the outhouse. No electronic timing. Nothing in the swag bag and burnt pancakes at the finish.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote