View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I forgot about the Philippines.

In the 80's Taiwan won three straight championships and it turned out that they had players that were too old and also had players that didn't live within the boundaries of those Taiwanese teams. Taiwan lost it's little league charter from 1992 until 2003 because of it.

Again, I don't blame the kids, but adults ruin it for all.
I don't think that's true. The Philippines violated the rules you mentioned in 1992, after which LLWS decided to step up enforcement. Taiwan voluntarily withdrew during those years.

http://www.enttwist.com/little-league-world-series/
Quote:
In 1992, Long Beach declared a 6–0 winner after the international tournament committee determined that Zamboanga City had used ineligible players that were either not from within its city limits, overage, or both.
No teams from Taiwan/Chinese Taipei participated after the 1996 tournament until the 2003 tournament, after the Chinese Taipei Baseball Association decided its leagues would no longer charter with Little League, claiming inability to comply with rules enacted in 1992 regarding the maximum size of player pools and number of participating teams in leagues based at schools, and residency requirements, which Little League Baseball had stated they would enforce more strictly, especially after the 1992 incident.