View Single Post
Old 09-15-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recontextualizing the Word of Wisdom

One of the interesting aspects of studying the WoW is how it has been given different emphases at different times in history. There's section 89, Hyrum Smith's declaration that the WoW would help people overcome their "murderous dispositions" and "beastly appetites," and that it was good to spare the life of animals, Brigham Young's 1851 statement, Lorenzo Snow's emphasis on not eating too much meat, John Widtsoe's scientific approach, Ezra Taft Benson's advoction of eating natural food and warning against food additives, and so on.

Unpacking my materials I came across a quote from Hyrum Smith from 1842. It was printed in the Times & Seasons. His article, titled "Word of Wisdom" connects not partaking of strong drinks (he meant liquor), tobacco, and hot drinks with teachings from D&C 20 and 87.

Here's Hyrum:

"Not only are they injurious in their tendency, and baneful in their effects, but the importation of foreign products might be the means of thousands of our people being poisened at a future time, through the advantage that an enemy might take of us, if we made use of these things that are thus spoken of as being evil; and be it remembered - that this instruction is given "in consequence of evils that do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men."

Hyrum seems to mostly be thinking of tea and wine and so on, but his more general articulation of "foriegn products" (and we need not thing of "foriegn" only, or even primarily, in nationalistic terms) has me thinking of contaminated food and toothpaste. It's certainly consistent with Hyrum's concerns.

You can take it to the bank that the next time I get to speak on the WoW I'm going to dig out this Hyrum Smith quote. I hope you do too. I think it's time to do a little WoW recontextualizing, and Hyrum Smith's quote is wonderfully relevant these days.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 09-15-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote