View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 03:47 AM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I view it this way....regardless of one's personal feelings towards political correctness, we live in an age where such behaviors ARE stigmatized.

Ignoring that simply displays really poor judgment and a lack of awareness. Forget about the feelings of others for a second....it simply is not a smart move from a self-preservation standpoint. You (generically) are purposely engaging in behavior that is going to be received negatively.

From a PR standpoint, what a stupid decision on the part of the Spanish Olympic team. From a common sense standpoint, what a stupid decision, as well. I have never discussed it with any Asians, but I have a feeling they are not very keen on the old slant-eyed routine.

Along those lines, I have never understood the complaints about political correctness. So people don't like to be called the n word, fag, etc...then I won't call them those words. I cant think of a good reason to call someone those names. I can't think of a good reason to call a female co-worker a "chick." I can understand how all Spanish speakers do not want to be referred to generically as Mexicans.

And although I still have not really opted to start using the term "personhole" instead of "manhole," it seems that there is wisdom in using gender appropriate descriptions for occupations. If you were a guy, how would you feel if everyone were collectively referred to as policewomen? It would be kind of strange.

This post has inspired me. Labels are bad form. As such, I am no longer going to refer to Lindsey Lohan as "firecrotch." I just don't feel good about it anymore.
I think you're taking it way too seriously.

Just my opinion.