View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
I am afraid as a Shia Muslim, my belief is going to be too strong for your taste and will defintely bore the board as well. But you as sc-fi aficionado could share your brilliant imagination and describe how you would do to destroy the plan your friends are talking about.
I thought Iblis or Shaytan was a fallen angel, who refused to bow down to Adam. (By the way, how do you like the Adam-God parallel).

Here is a link purporting to explain it. http://www.themystica.org/mystica/articles/i/iblis.html

Quote:
Iblis is the name for the devil in the Qur'an. Although the term "devil" comes from the Greek diabolos, the Muslims derived the name from the Arabic, balasa, "he despaired," which can be interpreted "despaired of the mercy of God" but he is also al-Shairan, Satan, and "the enemy of God." The latter aspect of Satan is a commonly shared belief of both Muslims and Christians. According to one tradition, when Allah ordered the angels to bow down to the newly created man, Adam, Iblis refused to do so because he, being made of fire, thought himself superior to a creature made of earth. He continues tempting humans, especially through the whisper (waswas, "he whispered") and false suggestion (haiif). In the end, it is believed, he will be cast into Jahannam. Another commonly shared belief held by both religions is that the universal existence of evil in personal lives is usually experienced as a consequence of a personal agent, the devil.
Although both Satan and al-Shairan are identified, Shairan also has a distinct existence, perhaps as the leader of the jinns, a personification of temptation. This coincides with the Muslim belief that each individual is accompanied by two personal spiritual entities; an angel who urges toward good and a shairan who urges toward evil.
Isn't Iblis the Whisperer who whispers to man to commit sin?

How would that be too strong for Sooner?

Last edited by Archaea; 07-21-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote