Thread: Another tragedy
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #30
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
It's unexplainable DDD. All I can say is sometimes they are immature kids that try to pull a top gun and buzz the tower, thinking this is funny and then there is the stereotypical redneck that hates you because he is a racist, homophobic asshole who wants to destroy everything he doesn't understand. I don't know how else to explain it. but it is universal everywhere I have ridden.
Is there some kind of stereotype out there that cyclists are gay? I have never heard that before.

I think it was Archaea who posted an online petition for increased cycling awareness several months ago. I posted it on my local moms board, which is fairly large. I was mildly surprised by the responses I got. They said, sure, they are all for cycling safety, but the cyclists better make sure to do their part. They recounted incidents where the cyclists broke some kind of traffic rule. They surmised that some of the examples of cyclist bad behavior was due to the new influx of people riding to save on gas money. Of course, none of the women who responded were likely to mow down someone, but there was a little undercurrent of annoyance there that might escalate in someone else.

Archaea, I'm glad to hear your friend will recover, even if it is a slow one. My thoughts are with him and his family.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote