View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
minn_stat

minn_stat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I understand where you're coming from. But at the same time, you should only have to pay for what you agreed to on the contract. To be honest, the problems we always ran into were with our sales agents who would tell us they spoke with the homeowner and they decided they wanted this and that. Often times, to stay on schedule we'd take the agents word for it and begin the changes. But this bit me in the ass several times, so I refused to do work after awhile until I had an addendum and a ratified contract.

What was that electrician bill for? If that total the builder gave you was for finishing off the basement, it doesn't seem that unrealistic to be honest. Also $900 for the alarm system isn't bad either. Remember, most deals on security systems are like cell phone deals, where equipment and installation is offset by your service contract.
When we had first gone through the home as prospective buyers, the builder had left a sheet at the home offering to finish off the basement for one fixed price that was, truthfully, a good deal. There would have been no charges from the electrician except that we asked them for a surround sound speaker system that included speakers on the main floor - my wife is very musical, and loves the idea of piping music throughout the house (they quoted us $300 for the system), and an additional outlet in the mechanicals area ($25). They ended up billing us $200 for a controller for the speakers on the main floor, and $700 on the speakers. It appears they thought the $300 was for the basement speakers, and the speakers on the main floor were an additional $400. The other $100 was for changing standard lights at the bottom of the stairs into 3 canned lights (which we did ask for, but they didn't give us a quote for, so I thought it was a "same as standard" deal) and, of course, the security system.

The reason I'm focused on the security system is because there is no reference to the system anywhere, including e-mail communications. Just the one brief verbal mention of it that I referred to in my earlier post. For the other items, they are items we requested and are found in various documents.
minn_stat is offline   Reply With Quote