View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #45
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

You have a smug style and look down at people due to your high self appraisal of your intellect and have a way of subtly, yet intentionally, insulting people with it. But I will try to avoid going there with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
There are some very bright women, who stay home, ignore their education and perform beyond admirably. I do not doubt it.

And there are women who in such circumstances find ways to sharpen their intellects without formal education, I do not doubt it.
Let's not confuse the education aspect of this. I am not favoring women ignore their education. The church does not tell women to ignore their education. In fact the opposite. I'm mostly speaking representing my wife and people like her, and she is a BYU grad.

Quote:
However, if I were a woman, I'm not bright enough that my intellect would be adequately sharpened without formal education and without the stresses of the workplace. Whether I'm a better or worse person because of it, who knows. But my skills are sharpened through the choices I've made.
I don't agree you need the stresses of the workplace to hone your intellect. It's not like a stay at home mom sits on her ass all day. There are a lot of variety and challenges. CB is full of professional, working men. CG thinks they're a step above CB, intellectually. I don't see much here on CG that impresses me, intellectually, beyond what I see from my wife and other women in my life who are stay at home mom's.

Quote:
Many of our women have less sharp skills because of the choices they've made.
I have less sharp skills because I read SI on the john and not Dostoevsky. Women who are at home are sharpening the skills for what Julie Beck says matters most--nurturing children.

Quote:
I don't accept Beck's premise that the best place for all women is in the home. Some may find it the best place if circumstances permit, but many may not.
I agree because I don't believe in absolutes, but you can replace all with most. If you don't believe it's the best place for most women and most families, if circumstances permit, then we can argue that point. It's clear to me the church teaches that, but that may not be entirely relevant. And it's an essential premise for my entire perspective.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote