View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #24
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Yes, civil liberties are about making government prove its case and about protecting the innocent. Even me and my "Javascript" (which is not what I do, by the way) can see that.

The question is whether or not the Patriot Act appreciably abridges those rights.

I think Gitmo comes up within about 14 seconds of any discussion on civil liberties, so I have to disagree with you there.

As to the Patriot Act, I'd like to hear of some real violations--and not just individual cases. I want to hear about broad denial of civil liberties to statistically significant numbers of Americans, such that we can say "our" rights have been curtailed.

Lastly, so far as I know, no American citizen has been denied habeas corpus. Do you know otherwise?

I don't think it's that easy.

I'll add, parenthetically, that the Patriot Act was passed by a majority of Congressmen, twice. And despite the hot air you hear from the Left, I'd bet it would still pass (though in modified form) a Democrat Congress.
Ah, I see. So violations of civil liberties which are occurring shouldn't be important to us unless they happen to a large mass of people. I am sure those who are being oppressed will be glad to know that the rest of us are fine at the moment.

I also appreciated your bold prediction that a "modified" patriot act would pass today. What does that even mean? That some form of legislation pertaining to some rights in some undescribed manner may be passed by some future legislature? Thought-provoking.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote