View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It appears that even with Trent leaving

Rose recruited nobody else for next year for BYU. Perhaps he is hoping for a good transfer, we shall see.

It appears that next years roster will be:
Fredette -SO
Lloyd - SO (RS?)
Morgan RS JR
Emery SO (RS?)
Cummard SR
Abuou FR (RS?)
Tavernari JR - Go pro after next year to Dallas Mavericks and become Mike Waters HT?
Hartstock FR (RS?)
Miles JR
MacGregor SR? Poss Med Redshirt (Wish his last name was McKrevitz and his first Phillip)
Anderson RS FR
Rose SR

I think that either Emery, Abuou or Michael Lloyd will redshirt. Today, I choose Lloyd to be the guy. After making that decision, I guess the debate that will rage is what position does Jimmer play? I thought that Rose would recruit a JC guard and what position that dude played would dictate where Jimmer was to play. Rose didn't heed my advice and I guess the question is better answered by figuring out if Jackson Emery is a better 2 than Lamont Morgan is a 1. My guess is that there is no way in hell a kid on his first year back from a mission will start. So I am going with this as my starting lineup:

1: Lamont Morgan
2: Jimmer Fredette
3: Lee Cummard
4: JTav
5: Chris Miles

I think we see Jackson Emery, MacGregor, Harstock and Anderson principally off the bench. Jimmer is going to play the second most minutes next year after Cummard. I bet Fredette sees about 32 mpg split between 1 and 2. Cummard will play about 34 mpg. My guess is Morgan will see about 24 mpg. Jackson Emery will play about 20 and I think we will see Tavernari get some minutes at the 3 this year with BYU playing Harstock and Anderson at the 4 - especially Hartstock. I think this will be about the time breakdown:

Cummard - 34
Fredette - 32
Tavernari, Miles - 28
Morgan - 24
Emery - 20
Hartstock - 15
MacGregor - 12
Anderson - 7

If Emery can go more than 20 mpg, I see him getting closer to 24 mpg in conference and Anderson getting fewer and fewer minutes. I really think BYU moves toward an 8 man rotation this year with those eight being the starters and then Emery, MacGregor and Harstock off the bench. Abuou will be the emergency perimeter player and Anderson the emergency guy in the post.

Will the team be better next year? I think Fredette will be the most improved player. Emery will not be 1/5 the player Jimmer was off the bench offensively, but even as an RM I think Jackson will D up better. However, when BYU has both Emery and Lamont Morgan on the court at the same time, BYU will struggle to score. I think Tavernari will be moderately improved. Cummard will be the best player in the conference. I expect Miles to be the second most improved player. I am really interested to see if he can step up and force teams to respect him in the post. In fact, obviously, I believe it will come down to Miles' improvement that will dictate how good BYU will be next year. I see MacGregor off the bench as no different than Miles was last year. Hartstock is an enigma as compared to Collinsworth. My guess is that Harstock is more skilled but not the athlete. Harstock also has been away from the game for a couple of years and will have RMitis. I am probably overestimating what his contribution will be if I expect him to play 15 mpg.

In the end I think the club will be about as good as it has been the past two years, but I think UNLV will be the best team in the MWC. UNLV, BYU and probably one other MWC team (either Utah or UNM) are likely to make the NCAA. I think the MWC will win 3 NCAA Tourney games next year, UNLV will make the sweet 16 and BYU will make the 2nd round.