View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
didnt joseph also set apart Sidney rigdon and Joseph smith the III?
I don't know of any documentation for Sidney Rigdon being set apart specifically as Successor, but his claim is stronger than most of today's Church members realize. He was set apart as a "Prophet, Seer, and Revelator," while up until the Missouri exodus when things get fuzzy (if memory serves, the blurring of lines began when Brigham Young had to wear both an Apostolic and a Stake "hat" to help get the Saints relocated in Illinois), the members of the Quorum of the Twelve had authority only in the mission field. Issues of authority had been in flux since Joseph's imprisonment in Liberty Jail, but it's clear that apostles did not have authority over Stakes or Bishops. My understanding is that the First Presidency and the Presiding Patriarch were the only ones who had authority like the "General Authority" that we have today.

That's were Sidney's claim is strongest.

My judgment is that if Hyrum Smith had survived, there's a good chance he would have been Joseph's successor.

Had Emma and co. headed for Salt Lake, Joseph Smith III might have been a Church President as well.

I think William Marks, as the President of the Nauvoo Stake, also had a reasonably strong claim.

Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer would have had strong claims had they not been excommunicated, and had they stayed close to Joseph and remained popular with the Saints.

There are several accounts of Joseph Smith III being designated as successor by his father in the Red Brick Store in Nauvoo.

Strang's case is interesting in that he thought himself the new prophet immediately (and had a purported letter from Joseph). It's also interesting in that William Smith, Martin Harris, William Marks, John Page, and William McLellin all supported him, at least for a while.

William Smith put himself forward briefly.

There are also credible accounts that Joseph said that the President of the Quorum of the Twelve should succeed him. (D&C 107, for one).

As was so often the case, Joseph was very ambiguous and seemed to change his mind on things.

It should be remembered that Brigham Young was not declared the Prophet and President of the Church, in the sense we know it today, for three years (and even then, it was done with only seven Apostles present to vote--three were disaffected). The followers of Brigham initially dissolved the First Presidency. At first Brigham led the Church as President of the Quorum of the Twelve.

I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg on the issues surrounding the Succession.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-06-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote