View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #19
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I thought the vast majority of those getting abortions were doing it to minimize unwanted pregnancies. Also, why would Obama want to reduce the number of abortions? Does he see it as an issue of the health of the mother? Or is he really concerned about unborn children?

Maybe you don't know, but when pro choice people call for a reduction in the number of abortions, I wonder why. Seems like a pretty nifty way to get rid of a problem. What's wrong with it?

Noah, surely you're not trolling are you? Even the most ardent pro-choicers realize that abortion is an incredibly painful decision for most women, and that for most women it's best if the decision never needs to be made. Further, some feminists feel that the very prevalence of abortion is due in part to the fact that women's preventative care needs are not being met. They want to see the numbers drop due to improving quality of life of women of childbearing age. But I imagine you already knew all that.

This is the only aspect of Obama's abortion platform that I agree with him on: we all have a vested interest in reducing the need for abortions in this country, and if we work together toward that end we're a lot more likely to accomplish it than if the lifers and choicers just keep bickering all the time.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote