View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I saw BYU play A&M in College Station many, many years ago. They lost. Not many fans in attendance. One of the scouts with the radar gun commented that the highly rated pitcher, who was getting roughed up, "must be a cold weather pitcher."

I never did go to a BYU baseball game when I was in college. At A&M, relatively, college baseball was a big deal back in the day.
When I went to BYU the baseball field was on the way home on my walk from campus. Towards the end of winter semester after my classes were over for the day I liked to go sit on the grass behind the outfield for free and study for my upcoming finals while enjoying being outside and occasionally looking up to see BYU beating Air Force or Utah or whoever they usually beat up in WAC play back then. A few other students liked to do the same, but it was never very many. Despite being a pretty consistent winner in the 80s and 90s, for many years baseball seemed to be at the very bottom of the athletic department's totem pole for some reason. In 93 or 94 they were actually really good and ended up within one game of making the college world series. They made it to the championship game of their NCAA regional, losing to Florida State. That was back when their pitching ace was Ryan Hancock.
But over the years the winning was seemingly just taken for granted by the administration.

I think more recently the administration has started to treat the sport better. They finally got a much better stadium thanks to the Miller family's donation and riding the coattails of women's softball, but unfortunately the years of administrative neglect took its toll to the point that the facility upgrade came way too late. I was hoping for a quicker recovery, but it's probably going to take a few more years.

Last edited by BlueK; 02-25-2015 at 08:49 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote