Thread: Romans 8:26
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Romans 8:26:

ὡσαύτως δὲ καὶ τὸ πνεῦμα συναντιλαμβάνεται τῇ ἀσθενείᾳ ἡμῶν τὸ γὰρ τί προσευξώμεθα καθὸ δεῖ οὐκ οἴδαμεν ἀλλὰ αὐτὸ τὸ πνεῦμα ὑπερεντυγχάνει στεναγμοῖς ἀλαλήτοις

The last three words are most interesting.

traditionally, I believe it's translated intercedes with groanings that are inalterable.

However, what do you make of the third person aorist for hyperentugchanei. Why use that form if one wishes otherwise to connote a recurring event with a mood or tense indicates no habit, as I understand the aorist verb tense.

the last two words or in dative form. Unspeakable groanings.
Yeah, you're right (below) that ὑπερεντυγχάνει is a 3rd person singular present active indicative; as far as I can tell, it's a hapax legommena - the only time this word appears in all of surviving Greek literature (tugxano, on the other hand, is a really common word).

It's a strange phrase - why would the spirit "intercede" with unutterable "groanings." These groanings seem really bad - Sophocles used the same word to describe the utterances of the inhabitants of Thebes as they were dying from the plague at the beginning of Oedipus Tyrannus (line 5).

I guess interceding sucks.