Thread: Eagle Scout
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

My Eagle Project:

Back in 1986, the St. Vincent De Paul soup kitchen in Salt Lake City had a fire and was pretty much burnt to the ground. When they re-opened they were lacking a lot of commercial-grade kitchen equipment.

My project was to sell snow and ice melter as a fund-raiser to buy a Hobart commercial meat/cheese slicer for the soup kitchen. The scouts went door to door in various neighborhoods selling snow and ice melter that we were able to get at cost from a neighbor who worked at the snow and ice melter manufacturing plant. On the day we delivered the meat slicer to the soup kitchen, the scout troop manned the soup lines and served meals to the hungry/homeless.

If I recall correctly, the Hobart slicer was very expensive and the troop didn't fully raise the purchase price so a couple of big money guys in the ward chipped in to buy it. Funny thing, when we delivered the slicer the soup kitchen staff commented how it was as big or as powerful as their previous model that got burned up. I felt like saying "sorry, I'm only 16, this was all I could do".

I only got my Eagle because my dad wouldn't sign for my drivers license unless I got it. Thus, I turned 16 in January but didn't get my license until August. I grew up in a big ward with two Deacons quorums. It was a big troop with excellent leaders. I learned a lot of interesting things about the outdoors and we had a 50 miler every single year to such places as Havasupai canyon in Arizona (the absolute best 50 ever), Windriver Mountains in Wyo., and the Uintah Mountains (50 miles from Mirror Lake to Moon lake - that was a death march) in Utah. We went snow camping and built snow caves, camping in the sand dunes, cross country skiing, camping in the Uintahs, and river rafting down the Green River. Never once did we go to an "official" scout camp or camporee or other official scouting event.

Even though I had a fantastic experience as a scout, my Eagle award and scouting in general mean very little to me. I'm not sure why. If my boy is interested in scouting then I'll work with him and help him achieve things. I'm not sure what I'll do if he is uninterested. Knowing me, I'll probably force him to get his Eagle just like my dad did with me.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote