View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Maybe they were speaking from the perspective of hindsight? As in glossing over the pain and anguish they may have felt to get to the part they think it most worth sharing--the part where they come to peace with it all.

This story reminds me of Elizabeth Smart's recent appearance on Oprah (I know, your favorite show), where she explained how she is totally fine and her experience of being abducted and (presumably) raped never bothered her at all because she's home now and has faith or some such. No therapy required! It was kind of spooky watching her say that stuff.
I don't doubt your characterization is part of the equation, but it just seemed so surreal, so lacking in humanity. Yes internal resolution and some peace with events is important for psychological health, but the attitude about a very horrible thing not bothering them seemed very Children of the Cornish. Dali would be proud.

In reality, I kinda expect people to internalize more, "it was horrific, and still pains me from time to time, but I've come to grips with it in this manner...."

How can we build up those who suffer if we expect them to "just have faith and get over it?" It also ignores those will biologically originated emotional difficulties and many other issues. It appears to me, we believe "Gospel" answers everything like magic, but perhaps I'm oversimplifying.