View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
For example if we we allow Muslims to practice their religion in the US, it would be nice if they would allow us to practice our own religion in their countries, without threat or restriction.

I know we do have branches in some Muslim-dominant countries, but we don't have true freedom of religion or missionaries.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/o...nion&smtyp=cur
This is the essence of what makes Trumpism what it is, and why I have a hard time understanding how practicing LDS don't seem to have a bigger problem with Trump. We can debate what sensible immigration policy should look like. But what separates Trump from traditional conservatism is Trump's attempt to mainstream the demonization of immigrants and foreigners. Sure, of course he's just taking advantage of some feelings that were already there in society but weren't socially acceptable to express until now.

I agree with the main point of the article though. LDS in general are more friendly to the idea of religious freedom for everyone and for non-Christians than are hardcore Evangelicals. It's actually nice to be recognized for that from an outside observer.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-29-2018 at 06:06 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote