View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

DJ's responses blew me away. I obviously touched a nerve. It's apparent that his experiences have colored his attitude. However, I do take exception to his cursory dismissal of my view and experience.

Frankly I'm surprised to see so many people make the assumption that Islam = Evil. Things are never so simple and Islam is not monolithic, just as Christianity and Buddhism are not. Agreed, the extremist elements color the rest, but I would hope that people would not jump to conclusions so quickly. Some of the responses have been very bigoted. This desire to suddenly throw down and finally go at it is scary.

I have a fair understanding of what is going on in France. I also watch a lot of BBC, so the UK is not that big a mystery. As for Germany, well, I expect Germans will be Germans when it comes to Muslims (conscience tests exclusively for Muslim's seeking citizenship).

Two points. BBC reported this morning on the sentencing of Muslim preacher Abu Hamza al-Masri for seven years for inciting murder and racial hatred. This is not a good guy and we should all be happy he is going to jail. Are British Muslims rioting in the street over this? No. In fact, many, if not most, are happy he is gone. One Muslim official this morning noted that they had warned British authorities years ago about Hamza al-Masri because his radical element had taken over a Mosque in London. These are people who don't want his stain on them.

Second. My kids too attend school with Muslim children. Nothing to report as a result of the recent events. Last year one Iranian girl couldn't shut up about stupid Americans, but the anti-American French teacher was encouraging her. My eldest daughter has a very good friend from Qatar and visits her home on occasion. They are devout Muslims (mother wears the headscarf in public). Theirs is the only home in which we feel assured that nothing untoward will happen (no boys, no drugs, no alcohol). My eldest son has gone to his Egyptian friend's house to play (mother again wears a headscarf). My other son invited his Pakistani friend to his birthday party (mother, no headscarf; this woman was just inviting men to rape her!). These are all very nice people. Perhaps they are just waiting for Osama's signal before they start cutting our throats.

A history of colonization, exploitation, and marginalization has taken its toll on Middle Eastern attitudes towards the West. They look at us with mistrust. Problem is, the world is a small place and we need to live with these people. Best to reach out to and encourage the moderating influences (for example, a secular Turkey) while undercutting and/or attacking the radical elements (for example, Al Qaida, Iran). Emotional wholesale condemnation is folly.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote