View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 03:04 AM   #38
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Obviously my swipe was broad, but experience with coders is that their life experience tends to be narrower than those of business people and lawyers. Are some lawyers in a situation where they experience geekdom and are insulated from the real world? Obviously.

Are some coders also exposed to real world problems? Obviously. But given Tex's irretrenchable defense of partyline Republican politics, defense of torture, defense of all pronouncements of Church lleaders, he seems to fall within my paradigm for coders, living a world of cyberspace where reality and theory never meet. If I were similarly insulated I might feel as he does.
For the record, I agree with you on the Patriot Act Arch. But it has nothing to do with either one of our professions. You're up in the night on this one. Your description of coders MIGHT apply to the 5% or less of coders who write operating systems or hardware code. But the other 95% spend their time solving real world problems. In fact, as was discussed in another thread, this is why the whole Indian outsourcing thing will never COMPLETELY replace good US born and bred software developers. Because they don't get the practical part of it.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote