View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 AM   #39
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I want to know why God killed Onan, but not my friend. Has God become more relaxed with age?
I am not going to answer this question because I don't think it is important but I do want to defend the Onan story in general. I find this story very interesting for the contrast it provides with the Joseph story (which it is sandwiched in the middle of). Also, it continues the theme of reversal. Once again the first born is not righteous and his fate is highlighted. This continues a very important theme in the OT where the firstborn incurs God's displeasure. Why? Why is this such an important theme? Does this theme tell us someting about God even if we find some of the specific detauls of the reversal events distasteful or weird from a modern perspective? Is the theme of reversal as important in the NT?If If so how is reversal different or similar in the OT and NT? Is this an important source of continuity between the OT and NT?

Also let me add that Onan reversal is at least two fold. It is ironic that he is essentially called to serve his younger brother (Judah calls him to serve his younger brother when Judah refused to do exactly this with Joseph). He refuses to do this and is punished by God. We can think of many other examples where this specific reversal is highlighted. I think there is some room for a nice discussion instead of giggling over the description of a sexual act.

The story is full of irony; Judah invented the lie told to his father about the "death" of Joseph. He loses two sons very quickly. His lack of grief in these verses provides contrast to Jacob's grief upon learning about Joseph's death

Last edited by pelagius; 02-13-2008 at 04:58 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote