View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 04:44 AM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
who says no physical harm has occurred? You make a false assumption.

Ingestion of too much water can kill, for example.

Not to mention the physical stress placed on the heart. Or the effects of partial asphyxiation.

But you bring up a great point--if believe is necessary to make this torture, then it ABSOLUTELY would have NO potential for torture in my proposed demonstration. Because the person would know exactly what was going to happen. And that measures would be taken to ensure they wouldn't die.

If I were to waterboard Snipe for an hour (which may be excessive given his fitness and habitus), what sort of premium would an insurance company demand, to be paid out on his death during the event.

Do you think that it would be pittance (no chance of death)? For partially suffocating a man for let's say, 72 hours straight? Or even 1 hour?

Don't fool yourself thinking this is just "psychological."

Don't you think placing someone in a sensory deprivation chamber would be torture? Even though you might argue that there is no "physical harm"?

When you think about it, your argument is absurd.
Don't go menstral on Mike.

I was using the concept as a thought experiement. I wasn't actually analyzing the medical aspects of the practice, but was viewing as a nonphysician. You have the benefit of seeing it as a physician, I do not.

And this issue is extremely emotional for you, more so than for most. I'm convinced not to use torture, because current evidence shows it ineffectual. That's all I need to know.