View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I dont disagre with you. If they can get married, and a sechool teaches sex ed, then they must teach respect for that marriage. If they can't get married, they will teach respect for a committed relatiojnship. but it is not marriage. COmmitted relationships will also, presumably, include diferent gender couples as well.

This is exactly why I said both sides have overstated the issue with respect to schools. While the differnce in what can be taught to children will be subtle at best, it is different and it will change. OTOH, for the state superintendent to appear on TV and claim that it has absolutley nothing to do with teaching or children is just as disingenuous and ignores the reality of the law.

This has never been about school instruciton, in my mind. I do not personally adopt these argumetns nor rely on them for my approach. This is about the definition of marriage, nothing less and nothign more. THis is why I think governemtn should simply get out of the marriage business and make all meanignful distinction between couples and individuals based on some form of civil unions while marriage becomes a religious issue. Indeed, I think this is where the issue must end up, eventually.

Even so, as an issue of obedience and faith I choose to support Prop 8 and will vote for it, and I do this with no ill will to gays or lesbians or anyone. In fact, I do this regreting, at some level, the impact it will have on some of my frineds and family, as I know it will be hurtful to them no matter what I say or how I expalin my position. If by some measure history judges my support to be wrong or bigoted, then so be it. I must act based on my conscience and my belief and I am doing so.
fair points. i agree.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote