View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 02:26 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The more I read about President Monson. And I read accounts from people who are upset about the NYT obituary. It reinforces the point that I really did not know the man. I know his public personal from General Conference. And that's it. I didn't know what he was like outside of that. Maybe it was exactly the same all the time. Who knows.

I don't know any of the church leaders.

President Monson was a little bit like my childhood's Uchtdorf. He was the only guy I thought was interesting to listen to. And in some ways that's what makes his presidency so disappointing. Maybe that's not the right word. But my point is that the energy and vitality that I perceived as a youngster never translated into charismatic leadership during his presidency (in my opinion). It probably would have been different had he been president 15 years before he was. Maybe not different in policy. But different in terms of perceived leadership.

In a few snippets that I have read here and there, people are saying that future president Nelson is very conservative. I have no idea. Yeah I know he gave a talk where he defended the recent gay policies to the hilt. But I don't know who he is. I don't know what he's about. I assume he's a very good person who does his best, with the light and knowledge that has been gifted to him. Which is much beyond what I have (I think).

I will say also that I believe when the mantle falls on someone, it can change that person. Even after so many years at the very top of the church leadership. We don't know what the direction and policy will be. It might be different than some expect.

Who am I to steady the ark, but I think this church could use a jolt of positive energy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote