View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 05:10 PM   #69
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree with you to an extent. I think there clearly are some beliefs a president could hold that would make me conclude that person could never be president. A 6,000 year old earth to me is curious, but I wouldn't conclude a person who held to that belief was stupid or incapable of holding office. I just don't see why it is worse to hold that belief than a belief that Jesus walked on water.

In fact, if anything it is easier to demonstrate that man cannot walk on water than it is to demonstrate that the earth is older than 6,000 years. Go to a lake, step on it.
??? That would prove that I cannot walk on water, not Jesus. What's your point?

I am fully aware that millions of people may feel differently than me, including you perhaps. That is fine. But I think that if someone has even the most rudimentary understanding of science, geology, anthropology, bilogy, etc. (i.e., grade school level), then the 6000-yr-old issue is beyond question. I just can't imagine having a president that is that ignorant. But that's just me.

I see a huge difference between believing that Jesus could perform miracles and believing that the earth is literally 6000 years old. I can understand how you, Tex, SU, and Chris Hitchens would feel otherwise (what an odd mix), but I think they are far different issues.