View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almost got in a wreck/fight on my commute today

First time that's ever happened to me in a cycling incident and it was with another cyclist and not a motorist. I'm cruising along at about 21 mph on a road with a fairly narrow shoulder and high speed traffic so getting out into the lane is dangerous. I see a cyclist ahead of me about 30 yards slow his bike and then turn around and start riding toward me. This is a huge pet peeve of mine as there just isn't room for it and the people who do it are people with D.U.I.'s and have no idea how to ride in traffic. This guy then blocks the entire bike lane sideways to pick up a damned aluminum can. A quick glance into traffic let me know that the street's lane wasn't an option so I had to lock on the brakes to avoid hitting this dick. He was about 50 years old, overweight but dressed in full kit with a camelbak pack. I said "you're riding on the wrong side of the road jackass, did you not see me coming right at you?" I left it at that and continued back on my commute. I could hear him yelling at me but didn't realize he'd decided to follow me until I got to the light about 1/4 mile down the road.

I was in a left turn lane and he was in the far right lane and I hear him yell "what did you say to me back there jackass?" I said "you're riding on the wrong side of the road moron." He flipped out and started screaming "I'm on the same side of the road you are you idiot how can I be on the wrong side of the road?" I told him that as soon as he turned his bike around and started riding toward me that he was on the wrong side of the road. He starts yelling again about me being an idiot and I said "old man, you were going the wrong way and then you stopped and blocked the entire lane and you're lucky I didn't hit you at 20 mph. Now ride your fat ass out of here unless you're planning on doing something more about this." He just kept yelling about me being wrong. My light turned green and I left.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote