Thread: On Stars
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #38
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
At some point you have to believe we're better than every else at talent evaluation OR you have to admit stars are important and our recruiting class isn't that hot.

Okay, let's look at the stars by year (using Scout.com):

2002: 3 5-star (Olson, Walt Williams, Scott Young), 2 4-star (Kuresa, Chad Barney), 2 3-star (Coats, Nu'a); the rest were 2- and 1-stars (so 7 recruits were 3-star or better, and only 5 ever contributed.

2003: 1 5-star (Ofa), 1 4-star (Brian Soi), 3 3-stars (Speredon, Dallas Reynolds, David Nixon); the rest were 2- and 1-stars (so 5 recruits were 3-star or better, and only the 3 3-stars ever contributed.

2004: 1 4-star (Vince Feula), 6 3-stars (Bower, Collie, Luettgerodt, Eddie Scipio, Watkins, Joe Griffin); the rest were 2- and 1-stars (Bower, Scipio and Griffin never contributed, and I can't remember if Feula did, which should say a lot, itself - so we have 3 3-stars who contributed.

2005: 2 4-stars (Matt Reynolds, So'oto), 3 3-stars (Tialavea, Spencer Hafoka, Chris Bolden) - all of which either have contributed or are expected to contribute - 5 recruits of 3-star or better; the rest are 2- or 1-stars.

2006: 2 4-stars (Lark, Matangi Tonga), 4 3-stars (Jacobsen, Ryan Freeman, Tico, Saulsberry) -the rest are 2- or 1-stars. Lark may or may not contribute, Jacobsen and Saulsberry did, and Freeman, I believe is in the mix somewhere. 6 recruits of 3-star or better.

2007: 4 3-star (Munns, Matthews, Cooper, Mauga), 11 3-stars; so that's 15 recruits of 3-stars or better.

2008: 3 4-stars, 8 3-stars; so that's 11 recruits or 3-stars or better.

The answer to your question is that Bronco's recruiting over the past 2 years has been 2-3 times better than the previous 5, going by the star ratings. If you factor in how few of the 4- and 3-star recruits actually contributed, (assuming Bronco can keep the 2007 and 2008 recruits around, it could be even more significantly better.

And, the point you seem to be missing is that BYU's gone 11-2 the last 2 seasons, and ranked in the top 15 in the country, with primarily 2- and 1-star recruits contributing.

Can you answer your own question now?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote