Thread: In-N-Out Hype
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
I mix a good ground Angus or sirloin and mild Italian sausage. Usually a pound and a half of beef to a pound of pork sausage. I usually crack an egg or two to bind and keep moist. I then usually add a liberal amount of salt, pepper and A1 sauce or Worcestershire (probably around 1/3 C). I make huge patties about an inch thick. Throw them on a hot clean grill. Sometimes I'll even brush the grill with oil or the meat to get nice grill marks. I usually add a nice melting cheese like provolone and white American. A nice thick cut bacon baked in the oven is a nice topper also.
My report: in short, a smashing success and very worthwhile. Adding the sausage to the beef makes all the difference. A did make a few tweaks:

I used ground sirloin and spicy Italian sausage. I kept the 1.5 pounds beef/1 pound sausage ratio. The yield was about 8 or 9 VERY large patties.

I used 2 eggs to bind.

Added salt, pepper, garlic salt into the mix. Hand pressed into patties, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit out to room temp for an hour or so before cooking.

I oven cooked thick cut bacon to use as a topper. About 18 minutes at 400 degrees was perfect.

I also pre-fried eggs to add (in the spirit of a King burger at Fatburger). Left some yolk uncooked.

Used spicy jack cheese as a topper.

Made the patties about an inch or so thick and about 6 inches wide....caution...instead of shrinking, these burgers balloon up and contain massive amounts of juice. Be careful when biting initially, esp just off the grill. You can seriously burn yourself.

As with all my grilling, cranked up the heat to high, get the BBQ nice and hot, then turn the flames all the way down low. Brush the patties with olive oil on both sides before placing on grill. Flipped every 4-5 minutes. After about 3 flips, it was cooked all the way through. Also, reapplied light coats of olive oil after each flip to keep burger moist.

With about 2 minutes to go, I placed a fresh-cut pineapple slice on top of the patty, let is start to cook (didnt grill them directly because I didnt want to lose any juice, although this could be a delicious add if grilled with brown sugar).

With about 1 or so minutes to go, I placed the fried egg on top of the pineapple slice, then covered the egg in a slice of cheese, let the cheese melt.

Upon removal from grill, top the cheese with bacon and present.

Garnish with grilled onions, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, grilled jalapenos, onion buns.

I did not add sauce to the beef mix. Instead, I added Peter Luger sauce as a condiment on my burger (no mustard or ketchup) and that was an amazing touch.

One side effect: burps an hour later....yikes!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote