View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #30
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My report: in short, a smashing success and very worthwhile. Adding the sausage to the beef makes all the difference. A did make a few tweaks:

I used ground sirloin and spicy Italian sausage. I kept the 1.5 pounds beef/1 pound sausage ratio. The yield was about 8 or 9 VERY large patties.

I used 2 eggs to bind.

Added salt, pepper, garlic salt into the mix. Hand pressed into patties, covered with plastic wrap, and let sit out to room temp for an hour or so before cooking.

I oven cooked thick cut bacon to use as a topper. About 18 minutes at 400 degrees was perfect.

I also pre-fried eggs to add (in the spirit of a King burger at Fatburger). Left some yolk uncooked.

Used spicy jack cheese as a topper.

Made the patties about an inch or so thick and about 6 inches wide....caution...instead of shrinking, these burgers balloon up and contain massive amounts of juice. Be careful when biting initially, esp just off the grill. You can seriously burn yourself.

As with all my grilling, cranked up the heat to high, get the BBQ nice and hot, then turn the flames all the way down low. Brush the patties with olive oil on both sides before placing on grill. Flipped every 4-5 minutes. After about 3 flips, it was cooked all the way through. Also, reapplied light coats of olive oil after each flip to keep burger moist.

With about 2 minutes to go, I placed a fresh-cut pineapple slice on top of the patty, let is start to cook (didnt grill them directly because I didnt want to lose any juice, although this could be a delicious add if grilled with brown sugar).

With about 1 or so minutes to go, I placed the fried egg on top of the pineapple slice, then covered the egg in a slice of cheese, let the cheese melt.

Upon removal from grill, top the cheese with bacon and present.

Garnish with grilled onions, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, grilled jalapenos, onion buns.

I did not add sauce to the beef mix. Instead, I added Peter Luger sauce as a condiment on my burger (no mustard or ketchup) and that was an amazing touch.

One side effect: burps an hour later....yikes!
Sounds great. I may have to try the spicier route sometime. I love pepper jack. Avocado would be great as a topper to cool the palate just as your pineapple would. Lots of variations to this. But like you said the beef and sausage mixture is the key. Glad you liked it.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote